Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Job Saga

Never a dull moment around here.
I should be in Denver right now.  I was supposed to fly to Denver on Oct 7 and stay until Oct 27 for computer training for my job at the airport.  United owns a DOS based computer program that is over 20 years old, but they own it, so they pay no rights or rental or anything on it.  Its rather antiquated but it works.  Needless to say, I should have paid more attention in my 7th grade computer camps.  Think blinking blip on a green computer screen and you seriously have what I work with at the airport.  I tend to do very little and work in the Windows section, but I was supposed to learn all the ins and outs.  Interestingly, I put all the dates on our calendar in pencil, as though I knew it could be easily changed.
We had an intricate plan on when everyone was coming to see me in Denver, meeting up in MN, having people meet in O'Hare to transfer kids on different weekends. It was crazy, but we had it down.  Actually, that's the saddest part of the whole deal for me. I wanted to see Denver, show the mountains to my kids, and have my cousin take our family pictures.  But, such is life.
The week before I was set to leave, my boss at the Y started talking to me about taking on more hours.  One of the other girls in our office is taking a different job and they need more help.  I wasn't sure what I thought of it all.  Then, at soccer practice, a teammate of Anika's whose parents have been wonderful to us ever since we moved here, asked me to apply for the church secretary position at their church.  I kept declining that, too.
Then one day, I couldn't stop thinking about it, so I sent him my resume and a few days later I had an interview set up for a few days before I was to leave for Denver and a few days after my boss at the Y talked to me.  I went back to my boss at the Y and just settled some things in my head. Could I work 10 - 3 while the kids were in school?  YES.  Could Maria be in the day care room free of charge and not be home alone (like she is now)?  YES  Is the job flexible enough that if I want to go on a field trip, I don't have to work that day?  YES  No nights, weekends, or holidays?  Only if you want to.  I went home thinking lots that weekend.
By Monday morning I was convinced the air port had to go.  Don't get me wrong.  This is quite possibly the most fun job I have ever had.  Who else gets to tell planes where to stop, or drive fun little trucks all over?  I have cool rain gear that I don't get wet in, and cool coats and stuff that they just give you, plus, I got to give my kids their first ride in a plane for free!  I also wanted to get outside of my safe little bubble between church, home and school that had been created in MN and believe me, the people I worked with were definitely outside of the bubble.  And oh so much fun.
So, I quit my job at the airport.  My boss was speechless - literally - but I told him I would stay on until he had someone trained to replace me.  Turns out, a former employee that was deployed in Afghanistan is coming back Nov 2, so my last day is Nov 1.  They aren't going to replace me after all, just stay working the same schedules we've been working, he'll just fill in where I left off. I realized I had never quit a job before.  They just phased out by moving to college, or to Minneapolis.  I got sent from one work study job to another while at Dordt, but that's because I was AWFUL at soliciting money on the phone - go figure - and better at office work - again, go figure.
I haven't heard anything back from the church secretary interview. It was a two hour interview and felt more like a brainstorming session of how they wanted this position to look and what they needed in a candidate.
As of November 5, I will be working 5 days a week at the YMCA.  Still not sure this is my calling in life, but I do know that it should make it a bit easier to be mom and wife.  We'll see what else happens.
I'm excited to have a few Saturdays free to go hiking or have people over, or to have game night again.

No comments:

Post a Comment