Friday, January 25, 2013

Christmas Eve

We had a wonderful Christmas Eve together.  Something I have learned to love is the time we spend just the six of us.  It doesn't always seem to happen, so when it does, and its an enjoyable time, I try to pack it away in my memory - especially for the times when things aren't so enjoyable.
Both Matt and I spent a few hours at work.  I came home and found that Matt had brought two kids away for a short play date before supper.  The family they were playing at came over for supper and then we all went to Celebration for our Christmas Eve service. It was a nice service.  Low lighting, personal candles, and lighting to Silent Night.  We enjoyed the song 'Follow the Shepherd Home' which is a beautiful song that has been sung in our church a few times.  
After the service we came home - just us - to open presents.  The week before there had been a 'Santa Shop' at school where the kids could go through and pick out presents for their family - $1 each.  The kids were so excited to give it a try.  Those of you who know me, know how excited I was about getting $20 worth of $1 items in my house.  More stuff, of course we need that.  And such vital stuff that I'm sure we'll use over and over again.  So, I was less than excited about the prospect but I conceded and handed over the money.  We had a chat about it at work, and I was reminded that the joy for the kids is in the giving, so I just need to smile and nod.
So, we are at home, opening these presents.  I was amazed at how much thought the kids put into getting presents for each other. They actually found things that were thoughtful and thought out and had no personal gain.  Brandon got Anika a book light.  A little light she can clip on to her book so she can read at night and he can sleep in the dark - brilliant.  It never worked, but what do you expect for $1 - but-  he really thought about it and it was a perfect gift for her.  He also got Maria another version of the game of Memory.  Maria is the queen of Memory.  All in all, three of the presents ended up in the Goodwill bag, one in the garbage and a few I don't have any idea where they are, but I was pleasantly surprised with the joy they had in watching each other open their gifts, and how much fun they had with it all. I am a self proclaimed hater of Christmas.  I find it all to be very stressful, very expensive, and way too commercialized. I like the music, the snow, the lights and the story, but that's about it.  I'm a pretty good grinch - I even have a stuffed one.  But I did genuinely enjoy spending that time as a family. And, thankfully, no one has asked me where the Santa hand towel is!

No comments:

Post a Comment