Monday, January 1, 2018

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

I am a self proclaimed Grinch.
I hate Christmas and all the busy -ness and the running around and the crazy.
But I love Christmas music, and lights and snow. I love finding a good gift and giving it to someone - and I am a horrible gift giver, so its all that much better.
I figured out this year, what I really hate is Thanksgiving day to about Dec 20 or so, then it all calms down a bit. There are still some things I hate, like traveling, but overall it has been a great few weeks.
The Christmas Collage is the high school's Christmas concert. It is one of our first memories after moving here. Most years we love it, there have been a few years we were less than impressed, but this year it was really great again. Anika was part of a brass quintet and Brandon was in a drumline - as well as the band. Anika plays the French Horn and Brandon is in percussion.

Christmas Day we bake and decorate Christmas Cookies after opening stockings. I completely forgot to take a picture of stockings. The main present was ski goggles as we are taking the kids skiing in Colorado for spring break.

Then off to our friends, Mike and Connie, for an incredible Christmas Day. We had prime rib, rice, strawberry pretzel jello, and quite possibly the best  meal ever!


The kiddos opened up their pajamas - and they are so thick and warm, they love them - thanks Grandpa and Grandma!
owl, minion, gorilla, pig
The next day we hopped in the van and drove through snow to Illinois. We spent time with much of Matt's family and took in a little bowling!

And then we pack up Christmas so we start celebrating birthdays - first Carla, then Jessica and soon Anika.
Matt and I went out for supper to Red Lobster and then ran errands - nothing exciting, but it was another birthday!
And then, our bright eyed 13 year old woke up and opened her new cow pajamas. Jessica always has a song and an opinion. She doesn't like piano lessons or band, loves choir, and in general is trying to figure out life as a middle schooler, which always has its challenges.
She chose meat loaf, mashed potatoes and skinny beans for her lunch; doughnuts for breakfast and snickers ice cream bars for her treat! We love you little girl!

We also bought a new, expensive two stage snow blower last week. It just keeps snowing here. We've had over 20 inches in just a week.  Needless to say, the blower is getting lots of use! The trees look like postcards, the roads, not so much. We are thankful Anika's blueberry is all wheel drive.

Brandon went with some kids from school to a retreat in Kansas City, Missouri. He just came home today and had a great time. It was called OneThing!

No comments:

Post a Comment