I had to write these down somewhere so I would remember them. I'm sure in years to come, my kids will kill me for this, but right now, its too cute to pass up.
Anika told me on the way home from school yesterday that she was the second runner up in the geography bee for her class. The first thought that ran through my head was 'how can any child of mine even be in the top ten?' but I let that pass. I am fairly geographically challenged as far as the world is concerned. I am great with directions and maps, just don't ask me where are any countries in Africa or South America!
So, she goes on to explain at supper that they had taken a geography test to see who would be in the school geography bee. There were six students who all got the same score - she was one of them. So they had their own little geography bee in their classroom with those six students. At the end of six rounds, places 1, 2, 5, and 6 had been determined, but Anika and another classmate were still in the running for 3rd or 4th. The teacher was tired of spending most of the morning on geography, so those places were determined by a coin flip. Anika chose tails 'because it never fails'.... well, it failed. So, she is officially 4th place in the 6th grade class and the second runner up. On the day of the geography bee, if both the first and second place students fail to show up, Anika is on. I'm not holding my breath, and neither is she, but it was a funny story!
Jessica also came home with a sheet of paper in which she had to write about what she would do with $100. She had to give it away to a person or to a charity. Her first choice was her best friend back in MN, but I persuaded her otherwise. I first had to explain what a charity was, and then I gave her about ten examples: Operation Christmas Child, Feed my starving Children, Kids Against Hunger, American Cancer Society, Susan G. Komen, etc. She first decided she wanted to do Susan G. Komen and talk about our friend that had breast cancer and squirting people walking on the 3 - day walk. So I was having her tell me what she was going to write and she stopped and looked up with her big eyes as only she can and said 'wait, I want to give the money to the parsonage.' My first thought was, little xxxx, wants to somehow keep the money herself. Thankfully I didn't say that out loud, but asked some questions. I tried to figure out if she meant where we lived in Grand Haven, or to the pastors that live in the house, or to the church. We had explained to the kids when we lived in the parsonage in Grand Haven that they kept that house for people who didn't have a place to stay, like us... pastors, missionaries, etc. So, I was grasping that maybe she had remembered that and wanted to give it to someone like that. 'No mom, to the kids that don't have dads or moms.' OHHHHHHH big smile, hidden chuckle. 'You mean orphanage' (me) 'Yes, how do you spell that anyway?' (her) So we got the paper written. At the end, she has to say what she wants them to do with the money. I suggested food, clothes, toys, books....... but she came up with the best one: LOVE. She said she wants them to use the money to hire more people so the kids have someone to love them. Then she decided she wanted to go and work in an orphanage some day so she could love all the kids that lived there. How sweet is that.
No comments:
Post a Comment