Ordination weekend is no ordinary weekend. I don't ordinarily feed 35 people Sunday lunch. I don't ordinarily have 15 children playing Just Dance in our family room. I don't ordinarily rearrange furniture and cook until midnight. I don't ordinarily laugh so hard I cry about situations so very late in the night. I don't ordinarily watch the sunset from the beach, although that one I could get used to. And from what I can remember, I only got mad once.
My parents came on Thursday evening and I promptly left to go to school for conferences. All is well at school - we just have a whole lot to get used to yet.
Friday my dad was my handyman. I now have a straight toilet paper holder, smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in every bedroom, my bedroom light turns on with a switch, and my false cupboard fronts by my kitchen sink have hidden holders in them. Nice.
Saturday was the craziest of them all. People were coming and going all day. By bed time: 4 children had gone to the mall, 2 children had gone to play practice, 1 child had gone to basketball, 11 children had gone swimming, 11 children had eaten pizza, 13 children had burned numerous calories playing Just Dance, 10 children were not in their normal beds, and 1 child had attended the Wild Game Dinner - but she's a senior, so maybe child is a bit too much there. And that's just the children. But they were oh so happy to be together again. And so were the adults.
Sunday came around and I would like to announce that my family and the family visiting were ready ON TIME and at church 10 minutes early. I realize there were so many people mingling that nobody noticed, but it happened..... really!
The service was definitely all about Matt, which he wasn't so hip on, but he survived. They made me stand up next to him for awhile... WHY!??? I survived, too.
I think everyone had a good time, the purpose of the day was known and fulfilled, and everyone got fed, so all in all, a success I guess. Best memory of the day: Two 7 yr old girls and two 5 yr old girls went out to our van and got the pack of CDs, brought it into the house, found a specific country CD, put it in the CD player, blasted the first song, and began dancing in front of 10 people they didn't know, complete glee on their faces. Much laughter was had, even from the two moms, as we quickly RAN to shut off the CD before the words of the song began. I thought of it later that if this is what they can sneakily accomplish at 7 and 5, what are we in for at 17 and 15? Not quite Country Boys and Girls Getting Down on the Farm, but a close rendition (although they can all sing that, too). Perhaps, city boys and girls getting down in the 'burbs.
Our dentist friends were over for lunch and named the teeter totter The Dentist's Friend. So far, everyone has kept their teeth.
After the day calmed down, we packed up and went to the dentists' house on the beach. We all clamored down to the beach. It was a clear evening and the sunset was beautiful. Have I mentioned before how much I love sunsets? and sunrises for that matter. We all got to watch the last seconds as the sun dipped below the horizon. Again, it was just fun to watch the kids playing happily together.
And that brings us to today. Five of the six of us have been to the dentist this week. The kids are registered for school next year. Matt helped Brandon's class lead a praise service. Maria spent the morning visiting Kindergarten. The kids are registered for Spring soccer (I hope, but that's another story). Brandon is with a friend tonight. The girls all have activities tomorrow. Matt is going to experience his first ever trip to the gun club.
Funny story from the dentist. First, my hygienist hummed through the whole process of cleaning my teeth. Nothing annoying, although I couldn't figure out what song it was, just something different. And, at one point, she stopped to tell me that its been such a mild winter that she hadn't even gotten out her REALLY warm jacket... y'know the one for those below 20 degree days. This MN girl had to chuckle that REALLY cold means something above zero. Although I do have to give her that below 20 with a wind off the lake is rather cold! I have experienced that!
So, here's hoping that the rest of your weekend is ordinary, or not.
No comments:
Post a Comment