Friday, February 1, 2013

Anika is 12!



Donuts for breakfast.  We decided 12 was the limit on candles. Next year - its just one.  I don't want the house to burn down before the birthday can be enjoyed!  Then off to an orthodontist appointment to get molds made of her mouth and her first set of braces put one - doesn't that sound like fun on your birthday.  Next off to school.


A scavenger hunt and presents when you get home only to be left home alone while your dad has a meeting and your mom takes your sisters to swimming lessons and your brother to karate.  Oh yeah, and when we gt home, we find head lice on her sisters.  Wow, that's a great birthday.  We hope to do a bit of a redo someday soon.  Take a few girls sledding and have cookies and cream ice cream! Sorry girl, the first day of 12 wasn't go great but here's to 364 more that can be better!

I'd actually thought a lot about her birthday heading into it.  She's 12 years old. I've been a mom for 12 years.  In 12 more years she'll be 24 - the age I was when I got married.  She's halfway there - oh my word!  In 12 years, her little sister will be 18 and headed off to college and my 'at home' parenting will be complete.  That means I am halfway through having kids in my home on a full time basis.  That's crazy.  Don't get me wrong, some days I long for the peace and quiet, but that means that this huge change in my life that happened 12 years ago is going to be gone in 12 more short years.  I cried when I found out I was pregnant with Anika - mainly because I had no idea what I was doing and I'm sure the raging hormones played a part.  But she is so much a beautiful daughter and so worth spending 12 years parenting.
She is a firstborn girl in so many ways.  She is motherly to small children.  Totally empathetic when someone gets hurt and immediately trying to think of a way to make the pain go away.  Loves to play with kids - ok - other people's kids, but sometimes her siblings, too.  For the most part, she is a rule follower, never pushes the line much.  She loves to banter and roll her eyes at her father's crazy comments, and he can always make her laugh.  She is playing the flute and piano.  Plays soccer, basketball and volleyball.  Loves to be outside and loves the winter, and summer, and spring, and fall.  She just loves all the different things you can do in each season. Sixth grade hasn't always been easy.  Moving here hasn't always been easy.  Some days we smile, some days, not so much.  But, she wakes up and tries again the next day, and we are oh so proud of her.  She does not rush through anything.  She takes her time and thinks it through.  She would much rather observe something going on before trying it out for herself.  She doesn't read fast, but her teacher pointed out, she reads how she talks.  A steady pace -no rushing.  When you give her the time she needs, she is just fine.  She loves art and drawing. Her favorite colors are blue and green. She writes easily and beautifully - although the spell check is a necessary wonder! Happy Birthday beautiful girl.  We can't wait to see what God will work through you in the next 12 years - and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment