President's weekend meant 2 1/2 days off of school - so why not trek to MN?!
A former youth group kiddo was getting married on Saturday, so the kids and I packed up and headed back. They had a half day on Thursday and no school on Friday or Monday.
We arrived late Thursday evening and got everyone settled down to sleep.
Friday we helped get the home kids off to school and then we got ready for a day of adventure ourselves. After breakfast we got gas and I drove past our old house. There were lots of mixed emotions inside the van - I didn't really know what to expect from them, but they didn't really know what to feel. We quickly headed off to Subway and then to a few hours at the Minnesota Science Museum, the Imax movie and some time going up and down the musical stairs.
We stopped by CCS at the end of the day so each child could talk to their teachers and see their classmates. Brandon went home with some buddies (the gang as he calls it) and the rest of us headed back to home base. That evening two other families came over and we had a great time hanging out. When our four families get together - there are 17 kids. I don't know that we have ever ALL been together, but we sure make a good run of it whenever we can. A few times we have been at the beach and commented on how busy the beach was. When it is time for all of us to pack up and walk away, we realized the beach wasn't busy, it was just us, and we are busy when we are all together! But everyone has a playmate and much fun is had by all!
| 13 of the 17 |
Saturday morning I headed out for the wedding. I arrived early and wasn't really sure what to do with myself when I ran into the mother of the bride and she ushered me in to see the beautiful woman of the day. It was so good for me to see her, talk and just be so proud of who she has grown into. There were many times throughout the day that I looked around me and thought 'wow, if only I had my head on that straight when I was her age!'. It was a beautiful wedding and I am so glad to have shared in it. I had so much fun seeing people that I hadn't seen in awhile, eating with former youth kids and playing around with friends.
| the beautiful couple |
![]() |
| There were sleigh rides - I didn't take one - but don't they look cute! |
| There were couch rides - I did take one of these - what a hoot! |
I had to laugh. Only in MN would 200 people be excited to leave a perfectly warm place to head out on the ice, and then comment on what a beautiful day it was! It was perfect for being outside - no wind, 20 degrees and sunshine! The reception was held at an event center that is located on one of the beautiful lakes in southern Minneapolis. There was a tent with pizza - games- and hot chocolate, a bonfire with smores, hockey, bowling, broomball, couch rides, and sleigh rides. We were not the only party out on the bay. There was a golf party going on to the west (yes REAL golf, golf clubs, tennis balls, ground out holes in the ice, and shoveled fairways) and an ice fishing party going on to the north. We laughed that you could fit a whole bunch more people in the bay during the winter than you could during the summer. The ice was over 2 feet thick and there were no worries!
Later that evening, we went ice skating. Anika was with another friend, so she missed out on this adventure, but we all had a good time!
We left after church on Sunday morning. It was wonderful to worship among those friends again and see so many people we love and miss.
The kids and I are quite accustomed to travel. We listened to several books on tape - and laughed and cried! Why do I pick a SAD one?!?! They watch a few movies and they love the McDonald's stops! By 9 PM, tempers were short and bodies and minds were tired, but after a half hour, it was quiet. They all got to sleep in on Monday and were ready to head back to school on Tuesday.
Thanks for some more memories and great times!

No comments:
Post a Comment