Thursday, March 20, 2014

My Gorilla Baby

Several months ago, it was announced that the high school would be doing Tarzan for their musical this Spring. We knew a few people that were going to participate and as time went on, it became known to us that they needed two young boys to be the young version of Tarzan and the young version of Terk (his gorilla buddy).  Brandon was unable to go to the original try outs but they offered him his own try out time. We were informed the next day that Brandon had not gotten either of the parts, but would he consider being a young ape in the ape ensemble. Brandon decided he wanted to give it a try and so began weeks of practices. He typically had to practice twice a week for 2- 3 hours each night. The rest of the crew was there 4 nights a week. He also had to be there every Saturday afternoon.  There were several things he had to give up or not commit to fully - which was hard for him.  More than once he wished he hadn't said yes. The final two weeks were every night for 3- 4 hours. He was tired, he was having fun, but he still hated missing out on other things, and he was quite sure he was too busy.  
Dress rehearsal evening.  His teacher had talked to the director and planned a 5th grade field trip.  He would buy pizza and any 5th grade student that wanted to come and watch the play (see Brandon on stage) could come.  Brandon was so excited his classmates were going to be there.
I head back stage with him to help him get dressed. He has no clue about make up and I wasn't sure what they wanted on him for makeup, but I had brought along some essentials.  I got the foundation, eye liner and mascara on, then we turned it over to the volunteer make up artists.


Once he was finally ready, we walked out into the hallway, where we were greeted with several high school girls, all swooning over how cute he was, and how great he looked, and OH MY I HAD TO LEAVE!  So, I asked him if he was  good, and he said yes, and I went and found my seat.  Since, I have learned that he was this cute, funny kid that all the girls adored. A little brother sort of thing. He was having a blast.
Brandon and his 'ape mom'
The musical was a success. Afterwards, the class all surrounded him and big Tarzan came over for a picture with them all - it was pretty cute.  
To say the adrenaline was flowing and that he enjoyed himself would be an understatement.  Saturday night's performance was the finale and he had so much fun. He came running up to me afterwards all excited. He and I stayed quite late cleaning up. When we got home, he went in to say goodnight to Matt.  Matt's description was 'BEAMING' - and its a good one.  He's already trying to figure out whether or not he should try out next year!



his ape family - mom and sister


No comments:

Post a Comment